Our House

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

more catching up

We spent the weekend unpacking boxes and trying to find places for everything. I finally gave up that idea and started unpacking some boxes directly into other boxes to go to our off-site storage unit. Now we have 8 boxes re-packed and ready to go. Our onsight storage unit has been a small problem. When Peter went down to load it up with our stuff, he found it was full with someone else's stuff. Naturally this happened on Friday. But the fabulous building staff here were very apologetic. They suggested we leave our stuff in the trash room on our floor since currently we are the only ones home there. So we did. Sunday morning when I went to get the newspapers, I heard some noise in the hall. It was one of the valets, who had heard nothing about our storage predicament and was cheerfully emptying out the trashroom. When I told her our story, she was extremely apologetic even though it was not her fault since no one had told her. Luckily, she thought the 'trash' was too nice to put in the dumpster so she had put it aside to give away. She brought everything back up to our trash room and at her suggestion I put up a sign to not remove it. But none of us were comfortable leaving it there so on Monday we brought it back into the apartment. So now in the apartment there are 6 boxes left of the original 70 or so from the movers; 8 boxes to go to our storage; and all the stuff to go downstairs to the storage unit. It was 3 steps forward and 2 steps back, but I still think we are ahead.

Back in Brookline things seem to be moving forward inspite of a little snow and much colder weather. Interior destruction is in full swing - literally, hammers and various tools are swinging into walls with gusto. On Monday I met Bill's son, Bill, who was busy taking down the walls in the guest room.
The carpet had already been removed and I was surprised to find the wood floor still in great shape. At least we won't have to replace that.
After alotof hard work in the ex-laundry room and family room it was time to relax a bit in the living room for lunch.

I'm out of town for a few days so I won't see the house again til the weekend. I wonder if I'll recognize it when I get back...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home