Still looking for the gold
Today was kind of a quiet day - not alot of banging or whirring. Katelyn did remove the cabinet in the basement where I kept the recycling bin. I guess I'm done recycling for a while. 
Apparently the building inspector, Frank, was here this morning to check the foundation. I'm sorry I missed him, but there will be other opportunities. I hear he was very pleased. And impressed, I think, when he found that Lee didn't just use a moisture barrier, but he went a step further and actually waterproofed the wall.
Lat night I had noticed many empty or mostly empty bottles of rye or bourbon. I assumed they belonged to Lee and his team, maybe to keep warm or maybe to mix stain. But this morning Lee and Katelyn told me that they had been buried, along with a bunch of beer cans, in the chimney that Katelyn had demolished yesterday. Better than a dead body, I guess, but not exactly the buried treasure we've been waiting for. As Lee said, maybe we'll find the gold when they dig up the basement floor.

Also yesterday, Bill started taking down the ceiling in the garage. He found fitted between the studs an odd type of insulation - it is a kind of ceramic material, not like any insulation I've ever seen (and I've seen so much). It fits in so nicely and is actually much nicer looking than the ceiling was. lee was speculating about it's function, and the function of that space originally. He thinks that possibly that was not a garage , but possible part of the basement back in 1901. I
would love to see original plans of the house.
I was taking the shades off the windows in the living room and dining room, using just a small screw driver since most of my tools are packed away. It was taking forever and I was getting just a touch cranky, so I asked Katelyn if she could help. Ireally just wanted her to help me find a better tool, but she said she didn't mind being inside for a few minutes. She came with her electric screwdriver and had all the shades down in about 10 minutes. We builders know it's all about the tools.
Towards the end of the day I went outside and saw Bill sweeping up the floor of the foundation and Katelyn painting the walls. So I guess that's it, the project's done. It doesn't look exactly as it did on the plans, but it probably never does. I wonder if Miriam will be happy with the results.

Happy Thanksgiving; I'll be back on Monday.

Apparently the building inspector, Frank, was here this morning to check the foundation. I'm sorry I missed him, but there will be other opportunities. I hear he was very pleased. And impressed, I think, when he found that Lee didn't just use a moisture barrier, but he went a step further and actually waterproofed the wall.
Lat night I had noticed many empty or mostly empty bottles of rye or bourbon. I assumed they belonged to Lee and his team, maybe to keep warm or maybe to mix stain. But this morning Lee and Katelyn told me that they had been buried, along with a bunch of beer cans, in the chimney that Katelyn had demolished yesterday. Better than a dead body, I guess, but not exactly the buried treasure we've been waiting for. As Lee said, maybe we'll find the gold when they dig up the basement floor.

Also yesterday, Bill started taking down the ceiling in the garage. He found fitted between the studs an odd type of insulation - it is a kind of ceramic material, not like any insulation I've ever seen (and I've seen so much). It fits in so nicely and is actually much nicer looking than the ceiling was. lee was speculating about it's function, and the function of that space originally. He thinks that possibly that was not a garage , but possible part of the basement back in 1901. I
would love to see original plans of the house.I was taking the shades off the windows in the living room and dining room, using just a small screw driver since most of my tools are packed away. It was taking forever and I was getting just a touch cranky, so I asked Katelyn if she could help. Ireally just wanted her to help me find a better tool, but she said she didn't mind being inside for a few minutes. She came with her electric screwdriver and had all the shades down in about 10 minutes. We builders know it's all about the tools.
Towards the end of the day I went outside and saw Bill sweeping up the floor of the foundation and Katelyn painting the walls. So I guess that's it, the project's done. It doesn't look exactly as it did on the plans, but it probably never does. I wonder if Miriam will be happy with the results.


Happy Thanksgiving; I'll be back on Monday.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home