Our House

Monday, November 20, 2006

Ups and Downs

Peter and I made a decision over the weekend about the outside of the new vestibule. It was troubling us that there is no overhang.Miriam came up with a fix but it would change the shape of the vestibule and only give us about a foot and a half of overhang. Lee pointed out that that would give just enough space to allow rain to drip directly on people staning at the door. Another possibility was to put up a flat roof over the whole outer area. We decided to stick with the original plan. This means we just dodged our first change order bullet. Very exciting!

Bill and Katelyn were here at 7 am as were the forms guys. Before anything could really get started, Bill told me that he and Katelyn were called to fix a ceiling that had fallen in and probably wouldn't be back here til tomorrow, but that the concrete was coming around 10 and things would progress. I really appreciate that they told me they were leaving. Just another reason why I like these guys so much.
Vinnie came by this morning and we discussed a few more plants to be moved or removed in the hopes of saving them from going into shock.





I also asked him to do something about our statue of Lady Justice who is currently lying face down in the mud. It doesn't seem right. He said he'll stand her up.






The concrete truck showed up about noon time. I took some photos to try to get a perspective of
how big these trucks are that are hanging out in our driveway. I don't think the pictures do them justice.









They poured the concrete into the molds successfully, and tomorrow they will come to take the molds away, and then I guess we'll get a pretty good idea of the footprint of the new addition. Sadly, in the process of pouring they ripped the lower branches off one of our evergreens. When I noticed what was happening, I went out and told them, and they moved the truck a bit but unfortunately the damage was done. Hopefully the tree will survive. Lee came by this afternoon to check out the molds, and he was more upset about the tree than I was. If this is the worst thing that happens in this project, I think we'll be doing really well.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home