Our House

Saturday, December 23, 2006





A lot has been going on this past week. The addition is not only framed, but it is covered , and the vestibule has taken shape as well.

We had a very good meeting on Thursday starting with a field trip to Affordable Windows. I thought we were going to finally choose a kitchen window, but of course nothing is easy. We have narrowed it down to 2 which I guess is progress. We really have to check the size of the opening in order to make a good decision. (Peter and I were at the house Saturday night and saw from the outside that the window probably can't be any bigger than it currently is because of building structure. This will probably help us finalize our decision).

We finished the meeting back at the house when we went through the 2 rooms on the 2nd floor whose walls were in question and then we went to the 3rd floor to discuss those walls. On the 2nd floor we decided to be fiscally responsible and only redo those walls in the master bed room that were absolutely necessary. We also are considering doing something interesting to the ceiling in Joshua's room since there is dead space above.

On the 3rd floor we've decided to take down all the walls, remove a closet in Emily's room, add a closet elsewhere in Emily's room, reduce the size of the sharing closet and possibly enlarge the bathroom. There was some talk of cathedral ceilings and exposed beams, but I think we will pass on that. Hopefully, taking down the walls will be balanced by the labor costs of laying duct work and prepping old walls for painting, but I feel that 'construction creep' breathing down our necks.
Outside in the back, they were removing the stucco from above the family room getting ready to install a steel beam that will support the new bay in the upstairs guest room.


On Friday I dropped by to see the walls in the master bedroom coming down. I guess when you say things in front of Lee, you better be sure!


The masons have also been busy. They have set up this tent around them with heat blasting to about 1000 degrees. At first I thought it was cause they couldn't take the cold. But now I'm guessing it's because they kind of like walking around in t-shirts flexing their muscles. In any case, there are now steps coming up from the carport to the walkway to the vestibule (although there is no carport or walkway). And the walls for the trash room are being built.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home