Our House

Monday, November 13, 2006

Fishing Hole

Whether we want it or not, we seem to keep getting validation messages that we are doing the right thing at the right time with this project: At the beginning of September the A/C compressor for the kitchen area died. No sense in repairing it since we were almost past air conditioning season; then the discovery of rotten wood under stucco pillars holding up the house. Last night's message was in caps. At 2:30 in the morning the smoke detector on the 2nd floor went off. Peter and I did smell smoke, but we went through the entire house and didn't find anything other than on the 2nd floor. We decided it was the heat pump in my bathroom closet, turned it off and spent the rest of the night downstairs.


This morning, when Lee was here he checked it out and confirmed there was a definite electrical problem with that heat pump. So now we have no heat on the second floor. Fortunately it's been fairly warm so we should be able to get along for 2 more weeks. I just can't help but wonder what's next. I did buy a couple of carbon monoxide detectors. I haven't installed them yet; I thought I'd leave that for Peter. He's very good at this type of installation (they plug into the wall).


Otherwise, there was nothing happening today. Our foundation hole looks like a murkypond. In fact Emily was here yesterday and when she saw the chair sitting at the edge of the hole she asked if it was there for fishing. I'm thinking of renting it out to the overflow of fishermen from the reservoir.















Lee said he might come by tonight to' pump...us... out' if it starts to rain hard again. He also thought they might begin to dig out the basement floor later this week. That'll be a nice change - from mud to dust. I guess the construction biz isn't all glamour.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home