Our House

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Disaster averted




When I saw the floors through the window on Sunday, I was a bit concerned that the new fir looked a little too orange. I mentioned it to Lee and I guess he alerted Bill and Katelyn. So when I got to the house on Monday, the first order of business was that Bill,Katleyn and I take off our shoes and tour the house to check the floor stain throughout. Everything looked good except the new fir which still seemed too orange to me. While I tried to convince myself that it would darken with the urethane, , the others sensed that I wasn't completely happy. So they tried some other stains and finally, with the help of the floor guys, we came up with a color that really blends with the old floors. When I came back today all I could do was look through the window since the floors are wet again. But it looks fine and I am very relieved and very appreciative of the team effort.




In the basement, Bob is motoring along tiling the indoor outdoor room - I can now admit I was a bit nervous about the tile. Lee summed it up when he said that individually the tiles look a bit disconnected; but when they are on the floor they have a rich look of muted variation - I don't know exactly what that means, but I like the tile. Bob and I have a pretty good idea of what we will do under the pool table. We just can't lay it out yet.
And the beams in the ceiling are done as is the crown around them. I think this will look very elegant with the dark beams and molding and and a yet-to-be-selected fabulous color on the walls with the tile and the billiard table. I really hope someone will go down there once we move back in.
Bill and I were hanging out in the lower level guest bath (don't ask, just read) when I noticed there was no opening for a ceiling light fixture. So he hooked up a sample light over the vanity to see if that would be enough light for the space. It would, but it still didn't make sense to me. Especially since there is a switch outside the door that doesn't seem to turn anything on. I am sure it is for a ceiling fixture. The switch for the wall light is inside the bathroom and I can't imagine I would ever design something where you had to walk inside a dark room and grope for the lightswitch. Bill is going to look at the photos they took before the walls and ceilings went up to see if there is a buried fixture . I am almost willing to bet there is.
I met Vinnie in the wall tent. Part 1 of this particular wall is just about done. I am particularly impressed with the curve, considering that none of the stones is actually rounded - these guys did an amazing job.



Back in the basement the sink is installed. Running water is definitely a good thing especially for tiling and jsut the everyday clean-ups. Also, the steel door is in between the basement and the trash room. It's a bit of a let-down for me; I think I was expecting something moe daunting looking. I may have them write 'beware-steel door' on it so people know not to mess with it.



The well digger guys never showed up again today. Lee spoke to the office in the morning and was assured they were coming today. He called me when I was on my way home to say the boss had called him to apologize for the way things weren't going, and he assured Lee there would be a drop-off of equipment tomorrow afternoon and the digging would begin on Thursday. We'll see.
Vinnie gave me a bottle of wine that he made. I have been drinking it while I've been writing. It is delicious, but if any of this doesn't make sense, I'm not surprised.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home