Hurry up and wait some more
I got to the house just in time for the rain to start on Thursday. Fortunately, Vinnie's guys were there early and were able to finish the retaining wall before the deluge. The dirt is nicely smoothed out, and we are ready for trees. The loam was supposed to arrive on Friday, but of course that didn't happen so now the first trees probably won't actually go in until Tuesday.


In the meantime, the tent structure in the side yard got its tarp put on, so it's nice and cozy in there. It was too wet on Thursday to begin the wall there; but on Firday, they were able to begin the concrete footings. I hope the hemlock will survive all this. It's the only old tree left there and I will be sad if it has to go.


Also,in spite of herculean efforts by Miriam and Lee, we could not get the building permit for the garage this week. Lee is hopeful that he'll get it first thing Monday morning. Hopefully he'll e able to start digging the foundation even while trees are going in. But I guess the digging of the well for the HVAC will have to wait til after the trees are planted since it's all happening in the same space. I really hope we have a mild winter.
Inside, Katelyn has finished the shelving in the big closet in Sarah's room. The shelves on the side are for cable boxes and any other a/v equipment that will be associated with that room or with Peter's dressing room on the 2nd floor.

Bill has done a temporary install of the sinks in the 2nd floor guest bath so I can figure out if I want wainscotting or not, and where to put the backsplash and how big it should be. I am very relieved that I still like those sinks. And we will have wainscotting, and there will be a built-in cabinet behind the door so I can just have framed mirrors above the sinks. This bathroom will be very cool.


Before the walls were plastered, Lee and Bill went around taking photos of all the open walls. Lee told me they had done that, and then I forgot about it. So I was impressed when Bill pulled out a photo of the open wall between the guest bath and the guest room,and showed me where they had framed for the built-in cabinet. Now that's planning ahead.
And the big news of the week: Nstar finally showed up to install the new electric meter. Now maybe my bills will be adjusted to reflect real usage instead of estimates based on when we were living there. Or not.


In the meantime, the tent structure in the side yard got its tarp put on, so it's nice and cozy in there. It was too wet on Thursday to begin the wall there; but on Firday, they were able to begin the concrete footings. I hope the hemlock will survive all this. It's the only old tree left there and I will be sad if it has to go.


Also,in spite of herculean efforts by Miriam and Lee, we could not get the building permit for the garage this week. Lee is hopeful that he'll get it first thing Monday morning. Hopefully he'll e able to start digging the foundation even while trees are going in. But I guess the digging of the well for the HVAC will have to wait til after the trees are planted since it's all happening in the same space. I really hope we have a mild winter.
Inside, Katelyn has finished the shelving in the big closet in Sarah's room. The shelves on the side are for cable boxes and any other a/v equipment that will be associated with that room or with Peter's dressing room on the 2nd floor.

Bill has done a temporary install of the sinks in the 2nd floor guest bath so I can figure out if I want wainscotting or not, and where to put the backsplash and how big it should be. I am very relieved that I still like those sinks. And we will have wainscotting, and there will be a built-in cabinet behind the door so I can just have framed mirrors above the sinks. This bathroom will be very cool.


Before the walls were plastered, Lee and Bill went around taking photos of all the open walls. Lee told me they had done that, and then I forgot about it. So I was impressed when Bill pulled out a photo of the open wall between the guest bath and the guest room,and showed me where they had framed for the built-in cabinet. Now that's planning ahead.
And the big news of the week: Nstar finally showed up to install the new electric meter. Now maybe my bills will be adjusted to reflect real usage instead of estimates based on when we were living there. Or not.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home