Our House

Sunday, January 06, 2008

It's all about the floors

While we went southish for New Year's, the team got the house ready for the floor guys to do their thing. The first and second floors are all clear except where no floor finishing will occur.
And I discovered that the floor in Joshua's room has become another casualty to the patching effort. I guess taking up the floor in Peter's study(which will be carpeted) to patch in the old floor areas that won't be covered didn't give us enough wood. It's not a big deal since Joshua's room will also have wall to wall carpet, but it means more time since new floor will have to be installed there.



So when I got to the house on Friday, I found the floor guys very busy sanding - the floors really look nice. The big challenge will be when they do the staining, but if they do exactly what Katelyn did, it should look perfect.


Bob didn't quite get to finish tiling Peter's bathroom, but I think the hard part is done, so the rest should go quickly once he can get back upstairs.




In the meantime, he's starting in the basement doing the floor in the indoor outdoor room. When that's done, he'llmove on to the main basement area which means we have to come up with a final design for that floor. Naturally we have decided to tweak the design we were planning on. I'm not worried, since Bob and I seem to do things quite well on the fly as long as we have the basic idea down.



Rich has started doing the beams in the ceiling over the pool table area. Knowing where the beams really are will also help in the floor design.

Somehow, Katelyn and Bill managed to get up to the third floor where I found them lengthening doors. There's nothing worse than vertically challenged doors.

And we have a new utility sink in the basement. The team will find it handy to have a working sink down there, and if we like it we can keep it (or perhaps find one with a bit more sophisticated look - or have Katelyn find a stain that will make it look like stainless steel)


Also, Katelyn apparently spent New Year's Eve painting all the wall samples so now Peter and I can make the final choices for the first floor. Then all that's left is the lower level. And then I will have no excuse to not select lighting fixtures.

I stopped by the house this afternoon (Sunday) even though I knew I couldn't walk on the floors. I did sneak some peeks through the windows and at the top of the basement stairs. I think it's really going to be rich and beautiful.

Den before stain:




Den after stain:
Hallway freshly sanded:

Hallway freshly stained


Lee told me the well guys are going to do some prep work and bring in their equipment on Monday and Tuesday and start drilling by Wednesday. Naturally, I won't be there on Wednesday. I hope Bill remembers to bring his camera.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home