Our House

Tuesday, February 27, 2007






It's been 10 days since my last post; I hope I'll remember everything that's happened.
Starting in the basement:
The door was cut through the foundation into the space under the new vestibule. Naturally I wasn't there when Katelyn jackhammered her way through, but fortunately, Bill got a couple of good shots. The space is smaller than I expected so I'mnot sure how much storage we'll get in there, but there is direct access to the new trash room so it'll be nice to get to the trash without having to go outside.




Bill cut off our water. The water pipe will come into the house in a new place since it had been too close to the electric. (We builders like to do things according to code.) For the time being, the one working bathroom in the house will get its water from a hose.

In the garage and basement, Kenny has been doing more work around the bottom of the foundation, closing up leaks and putting in some drainage pipes, and making a foundation at the garage doors. There is also a charming canal system in the basement floor with quaint plywood bridges. I'm told the canals will be filed with perforated pipes that will help with the drainage. There should be absolutely no damp or musty smell when this is done.

Up in the house, the final wall between the kitchen and the family room came down. It really does open up the place; I think it looks good - a bit more in keeping with today's kitchen styles. Of course you have to imagine it without the dropcloths.

A hole appeared in the wall between the family room and the butler's pantry I told Bill that I appreciated that they built a pass-through, but it seemed a bit high (it's nearly to the ceiling). Bill assured me that they planned to build a lovely staircase in the family room leading up to the hole. On the pantry side, we can just use the drawers as stairs. Works for me.

I spent some more time at Tile Showcase and have zeroed in on some more tile for the bathrooms. I think we've got a great choice for Peter's bathroom. The real challenge is figuring out the layout. What works on paper doesn't always work so well in real life. It's amazing how we've made more space, yet it seems smaller than before. it I am determined to make it a sensational bathroom. I'm just waiting for the epiphany.

Lee went through the house and hung ribbons where we had decided on paper to put ceiling lighting. Again, it's amazing how different things look in 3 dimension. It was a very good exercise, and after seeing where the lighting would be, we made several changes. I feel much more confidant now that we have it right. The next trick is to find appropriate fixtures.

The floor in the upstairs guest bathroom was removed. Mark said it was to get down a more solid floor that would accept tile and grout without shifting and cracking. But it looks to me like they just needed a place for some kind of complicated broad jumping contest.
I'll be out of town til the end of the week. Hopefully by the time I get back the snow will be gone and the masons can come back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home