Our House

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

More on-site changes

I made an unscheduled stop at the house yesterday when my plans changed. I got there just as Mike the mason and his crew were leaving. Sadly, it is just too cold for them to lay the stone - the mortar freezes as it goes down - even in the cocoons. Unfortunately, if the meteorologists are right, they probably won't be able to get back for another week or so. So the cocoons sit there, cold and empty.


Inside, I found Mark taking up the vinyl tile in the kitchen and family room; as suspected there was wood floor underneath. I didn't have my camera with me so I didn't get to take a picture for us to see how the cherry cabinets look with wood floor which is what I want to put there. When I came today, even the wood was gone - Mark said it was in very bad shape with lots of water damage and lots of random patchwork. So we are down to the bare plywood, or whatever the first layer of a floor is. Whatever it is, I can see the basement in places.



Speaking of basement, there is a gully now around the perimeter of the foundation. That will be the interior French drain. But first, Lee says they have to re-mortar the stone which was below grade and which currently has no mortar left.



Up on the second floor, Katelyn was busy framing the new closets in the dressing rooms. I keep going to check to make sure that I get the bigger space. I think with Katelyn on the job, my space is safe. I was worried about taking the alcove from Peter's dressing room, but I think the room is still quite big and it'll look great.
Peter's closet:


My closet^

Yesterday, Miriam was here; I found her in the basement with Lee. We had a short discussion about the kitchen. Now that I've agreed to make the kitchen part of the family room, she suggests we completely remove the wall that hides the fridge side. We've already cut it back, and I think it's a good idea to remove it completely and just have a cherry panel there. I can put the glass shelves there for the birthday pictures. She also thought that there should be closed cabinets above the existing cabinets, but I'm going to hold firm with the open shelves - I have a vision...
..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home